The Texas Lawyer’s Creed
A Mandate for Professionalism
Promulgated by The Supreme Court of Texas and the Court of Criminal Appeals
I am a lawyer. I am entrusted by the People of Texas to preserve and improve our legal system. I am licensed by the Supreme Court of Texas. I must therefore abide by the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct, but I know that professionalism requires more than merely avoiding the violation of laws and rules. I am committed to this creed for no other reason than it is right.
Our Legal System
A lawyer owes to the administration of justice personal dignity, integrity, and independence. A lawyer should always adhere to the highest principles of professionalism.
- I am passionately proud of my profession. Therefore, “My word is my bond.”
- I am responsible to assure that all persons have access to competent representation regardless of wealth or position in life.
- I commit myself to an adequate and effective pro bono program.
- I am obligated to educate my clients, the public, and other lawyers regarding the spirit and letter of this Creed.
- I will always be conscious of my duty to the judicial system.
Lawyer to Client
A lawyer owes to a client allegiance, learning, skill, and industry. A lawyer shall employ all appropriate means to protect and advance the client’s legitimate rights, claims, and objectives. A lawyer shall not be deterred by any real or imagined fear of judicial disfavor or public unpopularity, nor be influenced by mere self-interest.
- I will advise my client of the contents of this creed when undertaking representation.
- I will endeavor to achieve my client’s lawful objectives in legal transactions and in litigation as quickly and economically as possible.
- I will be loyal and committed to my client’s lawful objectives, but I will not permit that loyalty and commitment to interfere with my duty to provide objective and independent advice.
- I will advise my client that civility and courtesy are expected and are not a sign of weakness.
- I will advise my client of proper and expected behavior.
- I will treat adverse parties and witnesses with fairness and due consideration. A client has no right to demand that I abuse anyone or indulge in any offensive conduct.
- I will advise my client that we will not pursue conduct which is intended primarily to harass or drain the financial resources of the opposing party.
- I will advise my client that we will not pursue tactics which are intended primarily for delay.
- I will advise my client that we will not pursue any course of action which is without merit.
- I will advise my client that I reserve the right to determine whether to grant accommodations to opposing counsel in all matters that do not adversely affect my client’s lawful objectives. A client has no right to instruct me to refuse reasonable requests made by other counsel.
- I will advise my client regarding the availability of mediation, arbitration, and other alternative methods of resolving and settling disputes.